ESPAS is an inter-institutional collaboration between the European Commission, the European Parliament, the Council of the EU, and the European External Action Service that monitors global trends and offers strategic foresight to the EU's decision-makers.
The 2016 Annual Conference was part of a three-year cycle which draws on the insights of the ESPAS report Global Trends to 2030: Can the EU Meet the Challenges Ahead?
The rolling programme of the conference covered two days. The first day was hosted by the European Political Strategy Centre, the European Commission's in-house think tank, at its headquarters, the Berlaymont. The second day took place on the premises of the European Parliament, hosted by the European Parliamentary Research Service.
Day 1 - Global Trends 2030: The Future of Society
- When: Wednesday 16 November 2016; 9.00-19.00.
- Where: European Commission, Berlaymont Building, 200 rue de la Loi, Brussels B-1049.
- What: The first day of the conference will examine what divides and unites societies in the Digital Age, from the impact of new technologies on security and trust to the role of connectivity for inclusive and sustainable prosperity.
Day 2 - Global Trends 2030: The Future of Governance
- When: Thursday 17 November 2016; 9.00-17.00.
- Where: Library Reading Room, Altiero Spinelli Building, European Parliament, 60 rue Wiertz, Brussels B-1047.
- What: The second day of the conference will focus on global trends affecting long-term policy planning, e-Democracy and urbanisation.
For information on the full program and speakers, please see here.